Did you know mental illness affects 1 in 4 people at some stage of their life? That means that everybody knows at least one person who has been affected. Watch our own Dr Deb, consultant psychiatrist in Knowsley, give us the straight talk about mental illness. Let’s talk about it!
Dr Deb is consultant psychiatrist for Knowsley’s adult mental health Assessment & Home Treatment Team, Whiston Hospital.
- Mental illness is very common. It affects 1 in 4 people.
- Most mental illness is moderate to mild and treatment is available to you in Knowsley for all levels.
- There are many treatment options available to you.
- The earlier you get treatment, the better you will feel.
- If you ignore mental illness, it can have a negative impact on other areas of your health.
- Are you depressed? Try our depression self-assessment tool if you’ve been feeling low or down about things. Take this short test to find out if you’re suffering from depression.
- Moodzone Feeling stressed, anxious or depressed? NHS Choices Moodzone can help you on your way to feeling better
- Help and support for young people Mental health hub for young people with advice on depression, anxiety, self-harm, stress, bullying and eating disorders
More mental health topics from NHS Choices
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Clinical depression
- Dissociative disorders
- Eating disorders
- Managing mental health
- Mental health tools and self-assessments
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)